articles (2), batik (12), ceramics (5), cooking (8), dyeing (12), equipment (1), food (13), gardening (2), good to know (13), happen (1), happenstance (6), knitting (1), paper (3), plants (2), pottery (2), sewing (4), wedding (6),

Friday, May 20, 2011

Lamb Shanks

My husband is out of town for the weekend and that usually means I endeavor in cooking something big and elaborate just so I can say I succeeded at doing it.  Today, I made a stop at Whole Foods at an unusual 9:30PM on a Friday night hoping to avoid the Saturday morning crowds.  To my dismay, the parking lot was full, and as I entered through the sliding doors, a woman in yoga pants brusquely walked past.  I noted to myself that I should try to work on my posture.  At the counter, the lamb is sectioned off like it was in pasture, and I noticed that the shanks were a pricey $6.99/lb.  $6.99?  For the toughest cut of meat below the knees of this very agile creature?  And I need four for my braise?  Really?

Never mind.  Just before reaching the cash, I was seduced by the Ylang Ylang shampoo with extra essential oils, and bought a bottle for $6.99.  $6.99?  Is everything at least $6.99 at Whole Foods?

Tomorrow I'm going to try a traditional braise from Alice Waters' cookbook. I've already salted and peppered and slid that whole mess into the fridge.   I've come a long way since I bought that Wusthof spatula.

No comments: